Wednesday, September 25, 2013

MMMMM .... Donuts!

Many of you who know me, know that I like to cook. Most of the food, snacks and treats I make are Paleo, or as close to it as possible. And many of you who know me well enough and are around me often have the luck of eating, tasting and trying some of the things I make.

One of the things I make quite often are Paleo Donuts.


This little "hobby" came about last year while on the Christmas in Salem house tours with one of my fellow Paleo eating Crossfit friends in Salem, MA.

We had gone to the Topsfield Fair several weeks earlier and had Apple Cider donuts. As we were walking through some of the houses they had something baking in the oven, or mulling spices on the stove to make the houses smell nice and we both said "Apple Cider donuts would be awesome right now, I wish they were Paleo," and you could see the light bulb pop above both our heads.

We both grabbed our iPhone's and searched for Paleo Apple Cider Donuts and found the same website and recipe that started it all.

The site was paleospirit.com and the recipe was relatively simple. The next day I went out and bought my $20 Babycakes Donut Maker from Bed Bath & Beyond and I was off and running. 

I made a couple batches that night, which consisted of about 20 donuts, and shared them with some people the next day and they were a hit.
Paleo Apple Cider Donuts

I continued to make more as the weeks followed and brought them to my gym, Crossfit Wicked, and people were devouring them.

When the Crossfit Open began, which is an international competition that allows anyone to compete for a shot to be in the Crossfit Games, I started making batches of donuts on Saturday night to bring to the gym on Sunday. Over the course of 5 weeks I made close to 250 donuts. Not one of those donuts went un-eaten, I assure you!

Over the next few months I began trying different donut recipes and any time someone would see a paleo donut recipe, they would pass it along to me. I would make them, tweak the recipe if necessary and let other people try them. 

Over the last 10 months I have made close to 1,000 donuts. So, there is that.

Not surprisingly, people like donuts. It's a $10 Billion industry. But obviously, (or not so obvious to some) donuts aren't really, shall we say, nutritious.
Somoa (Caramel Delight) Paleo Donuts

However, eliminating the processed grains and sugars and making donuts and treats made with real fruit, raw honey, nuts and other natural ingredients is something people at my gym and in the paleo community always look for, more nutritious options. So, it got me thinking, and I decided to start a little side project with the poking and prodding of many of my friends. 

The Crooked Lair Bake Shop - Paleo Donuts and Treats.

I'm starting with the members of Crossfit Wicked to see how fulfilling orders in a timely fashion will happen and what quantities I can handle. I'm trying not to over-promise and under-produce right out of the gate. But, hopefully in the near future I can start accepting orders from outside my immediate community. (I don't even want to think about if shipping is even possible right now)

I'm very excited about this and I can't wait for other people to try my donuts and a few other special paleo treats. 

More to come soon...

Paleo Chocolate Cupcake Donuts
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Donuts









No comments:

Post a Comment